Translation note: The final two lines are actually the same in Japanese 'motto SHIMPURU ni kimi ha doushitai?' which literally translates to: more simply, what do you want to do?
This implies that the person she is talking to is so caught up in the bigger picture about what this means for the two of them (see first chourus where she tells them to stop thinking about all the other stuff they are caught up in) and simply follow their heart. They met, they are in love, why not be together? Stop over thinking! Is the message. I totally read this as the other person having a significant other already...I think I have been watching too many K-dramas! There's always something dramatic to it.
More simply (as Maaya said) it could be a song about two friends and one of them doesn't want to ruin their friendship be getting together as lovers. Or something. Sorry, I need to stop extrapolating things that are quite possible not there!
Anyway! Why did I write the last two lines like I did? I don't know, but it felt right when I wrote it down. Which is why I put the translator's note above. If you prefer your translations more literal and with less interpretation than please feel free to return the final two lines to 'more simply, what do you want to do?'. Hurray, a do it yourself translation.
For example, like an apple falling into your hand (Tatoeba ringo ga te ni ochiru you ni)
From 'Driving in the Silence'
Original lyrics by Maaya Sakamoto
For example, like spring coming after winter
Like an apple falling into your hand
Like being unsatisfied with the end of a film
Like the earth being round
It's all completely obvious
Our love has already begun
Forget about all stuff we're tangled up in
What do you think? What do you want to do?
For example, when you have a random dream
When the first snow has fallen
When you've cut your hair short
When you've just seen a blimp in the sky
Who do you want to tell first?
Who's face floats up in the back of your mind?
I want to believe in this strange rainbow coloured feeling that's burst up
I want to believe in it
What do you think? You!
I'm afraid of us changing how we are now as well but still...
Who do you want by your side?
For example, even when there's nothing exciting happening
Raising our glasses on nights when there's no anniversary
Simply side by side
It's all completely obvious
We met each other
And there's nothing more to it than that, it's everything
Think about it more simply, what do you want to do?
In the simplest form you can make it, what do you want to do?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This is, without question, my favourite Maaya song from the past couple of years. (Though there's fierce competition for #2! :P) It's just.... Ahhh! So sweet, a hint of sadness & hope for the future: a perfect winter song. The imagery! The lyrics! (The you ni layering in the opening still makes me smile. Clever poetry.) And the tune! It's everything I love about her.
What's the fierce competition? Haha. I know though, this song is great. This album was so good!!
Haha! :P From this album (which was SO good, and I was so happy she played it all at the concert!): Sayonara Santa and Melt the snow in me.
From You can't catch me: Stand up, girls!, Eternal return, Himitsu and Mirai Chizu. [Honestly, I really loved YCCM! I have to cut it off here or I'd list the whole album... ;)]
I could probably narrow it down to... um... let's see...
Yeah, no. :/ (笑)
Post a Comment