RSS

Wednesday, 23 January 2008

Maaya Sakamoto X Osumi Masaki (Part I)

I did a little work translating the interview between Maaya and the man who was in Hikousen, here's the first part. Note: Hikousen means 'airship' and is the name of the theatrical company.

Interview title: 'A meeting with Hikousen'

Sakamoto: Through a connection at my dad's work, from being really, really small I was able to go see what was put on by the Hikousen Theatrical Company. I think the very first time I experienced a play was through Hikousen.

....

Sakamoto: When I was first taken at about 2 years old, my mother seemed to be worried
and said "In the blackout at the theatre, won't you cry?" *laugh*

Oosumi: Wow.

Sakamoto: Well that story is from about 25 years ago already *laugh* Well, then I became and adult and I guess I was affected in no small way by it, I’m doing work where I stand on the stage.

Oosumi: I’d always done work for children, I cannot give form to my feelings to express the reaction that I get from children in the audience. So, I gave up doing that. But recently, the children who watched Lupin and are in their 40’s now, when I meet them at work they always look really happy and start by saying “Back then…”. And I think “Oh, I see, even though it’s work for children as time passes I can still hear their impressions”. I had never expected that.

Sakamoto: Really?

Oosumi: Yes. However, when I belonged to and directed the ‘Masked Play Musical’ in Theatre Company Hikousen, to be able to fathom a wide range of reactions from the mass media like TV – there’s no opportunity to do that. So I was really looking forward to meeting you today.

Sakamoto: Of the memories from when I was small of plays, they are all Hikousen!! The impressions that remain are of a time when my dad took me to dressing rooms, where people from the masked play musical were in. When the witch came out during the play, I was so surprised when a man came out from the middle of the witch!! And then, they let me touch the little tools and such, they let me look behind the scenes – I had thought the scenery was really evocative but if you try peeping around the back it’s got notes written all over it and stuff *laugh* I think that as a child “Wow, I really knew a lot!”

Oosumi: You weren’t a very good audience member then *laugh* Usually it’s usual for children not to know about what’s behind the scenes, isn’t it.

Sakamoto: *looking at a program* Wow!!!! This is so nostalgic!! I really especially loved ‘The Wizard of Oz’, you know!

Oosumi: Oh, so the play where a man came out of the witch was that one, was it.

(To be continued)

0 comments: